Friday, September 18, 2015

"Will work for joy."

You've seen the signs: "Will work for food."  Everyone should be allowed to work for food, dignity and security.  I am, and I'm grateful.

Here's my sign: "Will work for joy."*

Translation: "Will not expect joy without effort and contribution to others.  Will be uncomfortable for the sake of growth.  Will work to set aside my ego.  Will accept appearing uncool.  Will laugh at myself.  Will be patient, taking time to understand and accept others - and myself.  Will cultivate gratitude.  Will compromise (except integrity).  Will stand up to evil and dangerous folly.  Will take responsibility for my choices and their results.  Will do what's right over what's popular, what's necessary over what's comfortable.  Will take care of my soul rather than my image - all for joy."


  I sent this idea to "The New Yorker".  I think it works as a cartoon no matter who's holding the sign.