Saturday, January 30, 2016

God in the answers

When we ask ourselves questions - not just searching memory, but questions about values, judgment, love and creativity - where does the answer come from?
"What's going on here?"
"Is there more to this situation than I first thought?"
"What values apply in this situation?"
"What motivations are at work here?"
"What are my options?"
"Should I say, or do, what first comes into my head?  Or would restraint be better?"
"What is wanted and needed here?"
"What would - pick your ethical hero (Mom? Dad? Jesus? Mother Teresa?) - do in this situation?"
"What is the best thing to do now?"
"What am I afraid of?"
"How can I improve this situation?"
"What can I learn from this situation and from my reactions to it?"
When we ask "ourselves" such questions, who wishes to limit the response to our own intellect and experience?  Who is not seeking to grow, to expand her or his awareness?
I believe that God - that of God within each of us - hears, pays attention to, and answers such questions.
I believe that, whether or not we believe in God or believe help or guidance will appear, when we seek help or guidance from a power beyond our conscious intellectual abilities, God is at least a name for that power.