Saturday, February 16, 2019

February 3, 2019

Imagine the reach and depth of the wisdom of the Holy Spirit!  A Spirit which perceives the circumstances and needs of each person – and of each other person with whom we are concerned, moment to moment.  A Spirit which, when asked, may tell me to stay and you to move on; which may tell you to persevere and me to let go; which may tell me to act and you to forebear; which may tell you to speak and me to keep my peace.

Are there as many Holy Spirits as there are people, responding only to the assigned person’s prayers for guidance, as if in some cosmic call center?  Or is there one Holy Spirit uniting all humanity and nurturing each individual’s growth and grace according to her or his circumstances?  The answer is a matter of faith.

I believe there is one Holy Spirit available to each person at all times, if we ask; if we strive to stay connected to that Spirit – including to the presence of that Spirit in each other despite all human and cultural differences; if we seek to be agents of that Spirit of love and grace for our growth and for the contributions we can make to others.