Sunday, September 22, 2019

September 22, 2019

Habits, for the most part, become easy and comfortable.

Growth is uncomfortable.

In the Bible,* there is a parable of a man who is going on a long trip.  To each of two other men he entrusts money – I think it’s one “talent,” a marvelous irony, in English – with the understanding that each will take care of the money.  When he returns, the first man who undertook stewardship of the talent says, “Here are two talents. I put the one you entrusted to me to work and gained another one.”  The man who gave him the money is pleased and impressed.  The other man entrusted with a talent says, “Here is your talent.  I did as you asked: I guarded it – by burying it - and now I return it to you.”  The man who entrusted the money, much displeased and disappointed, admonishes this man saying, in essence, “you squandered the opportunity to use and enhance that which was entrusted to you.”

Holy Spirit, please help us consciously to discover, use and grow that which we have been given, bearing all necessary discomfort, the better to be agents of Your grace, and to our own peace and benefit.

*  See Matthew 25:14-30.