Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Reality check #5

In one of my favorite books, The Road Less Traveled, Dr. M. Scott Peck wrote, "the only way to be assured of being loved is to be a person worthy of love."  To God, I suppose, everyone is worthy of love without effort.  I'd call that grace - whether love without effort comes from God or a person.  
But I think Dr. Peck is right as to sustained human love.  To be worthy of love requires the commitment to live as best we can see to live and the effort to ask whether we are doing that.
Today, how willing am I to live the best life I can see to live?  How willing am I to grow?  How willing am I to extend myself for the sake of this relationship?  For the sake of this family, organization, community or society?  And ultimately for my own health and peace of mind?