Sunday, February 21, 2016

February 21, 2016



When I have the presence of mind to refrain from acting out of habit, there are many questions I might ask in trying to discover “What is going on here?” and to decide “What shall I do here?”  I think those questions are in two different groups or files or, if you will, baskets. 

The first basket is full of questions arising from anxiety, fear, judgment and insufficiency.  Reaching into that basket, I get questions like, “How can I avoid discomfort?” “How can I get control?” “How can I look good here?” and “What can I get out of this?”

The second basket is full of questions flowing from compassion, curiosity, forgiveness, and growth.  In this basket I find questions like, “What is wanted or needed?” “What can I do to help?” “What can I learn here?” and “How can I wholesomely manage my yearnings?”

So the silent starting point becomes asking, “Holy Spirit, please guide me to the right basket.”