Sunday, June 19, 2016

June 19, 2016

Last Friday, I attended the funeral mass for a twenty-six-year-old woman.  The loss to her family and friends was heartbreaking.  The collective grief was vast and nearly overwhelming.  But the love – the shared, inspiring, comforting love – was the most powerful presence.
The recessional hymn was, “Here I am, Lord.”  In that hymn, to God’s question, “Whom shall I send?”, the refrain is “I will go Lord, if You lead me.”
When we seek a spiritual calling, when we experience such a calling, and when we act on such a calling, we are addressing, connecting with, and strengthening that seed or spark of the Holy Spirit – of the spirit of love – which is within each of us.
And when we come out from our spiritual and emotional bunkers to answer that call, we experience a freedom which is attainable in no other way.