Monday, January 23, 2017

Being right or being grateful

I have shared my idea that the proverbial tree of the knowledge of good and evil would better be called the tree of the perception of the knowledge of good and evil.  The perception of the knowledge of good and evil is also the perception of right and of wrong.  For every person, that is a very important perception in our daily lives - in our work, in our relationships, and in all our chosen actions.  But it is also very important that we accept it as our perception.  To the extent we believe we know what is right and what is wrong and reject divergent perceptions, we become prisoners of our beliefs.  We become deaf to others' perceptions and blind to others' needs.  How difficult it becomes to love others if, sure of what's right - and whether we express our judgments or not - we deem the differing views, choices, actions and needs of others wrong!
An alternative is consciously cultivating gratitude as more important than being right.  Regarding relationships, in particular, to the extent I cultivate gratitude for, and appreciation of, my wife, my family members, my friends, my colleagues - and all courteous, honest and peaceful citizens - how much happier I am and how much more rewarding and productive are those relationships!