Monday, July 24, 2017

July 23, 2017



I have been wondering whether there is fundamental religious authority for the self-righteousness I find in myself and which seems so prevalent in our nation these days. I know of no such authority in The Bible or in Quaker writings.  To the contrary, I turn to First Corinthians, chapter 13, which says there will always be faith, hope and love.  I think faith, being profoundly personal and often powerful, can be a foundation for self-righteousness.  Hope, which is also personal, even when it is for the collective good, can lead us to be self-righteous about achieving that for which we hope.  But verse 13 of chapter 13 of First Corinthians holds that love, which is not self-seeking and rejoices in the truth; love, which is patient and kind; love, which does not boast and is not proud – love is greater than faith or hope.