Thursday, August 10, 2023

How to procrastinate and be right about it

I am writing a novel.  I've barely begun, and I've never done this before, but I tell myself that I'm committed to writing a novel.  I envision the protagonist, a congenial and wise mail carrier, having a series of conversations with people on his route about Life's challenges and ways to deal with them.

My wife has suggested that I include a chapter about procrastination.  She knows I have lots of experience with procrastination.

I have lots of experience with procrastination because, though I have lots of ideas about how to avoid it, I don't have a lot of effective ways.

Thanks to my wife's gentle poke in the guise of a suggestion, this morning I see the following pattern in my life ... 

One, I see something that I think ought to be done.  It may be something only I can do. Though how much time ought to be given to self care, such as learning, exercise, rest and play, is debatable, the things only I can do are not the main problem.  The main problem I see today is with things that I think ought to be done that no one's doing, such as picking up litter or volunteering for a task - or writing personal reflections in a blog - so I do them.  Or they can be things others are doing that I'd like to support by getting involved in some way.

The result is a long to-do list.

Two, having created a long to-do list, I feel pressure to do those things, particularly when they are commitments to other people.  And I feel good when I actually do those things.  Doing what I say I'll do is an important value of mine.  I feel right in adhering to that value and, more important, I want to avoid failing to do so.  So I plug away at my to-do list.

Three, I notice that something on my to-do list has been neglected.  A couple days later, I notice it's still not done.  A couple weeks later ... it is reasonable to say that I have procrastinated.  But look at all the other things I've done!  Good things!  At least some of them were fairly important things!  Look where I have not procrastinated!  I've done the best I could see to do!

Today, I see that I unconsciously justify procrastination and I see how I do it: I neglect responsibility for my choices about my prioritiesIf I'm going to neglect a task, it should be something that's nowhere near top priority. 

The best I can see to do could be better - and needs to be better if I am going to be less of a procrastinator regarding the most important things on my to-do list.  In making my moment-to-moment choices, including what I put on my to-do list, it would serve me to be more honest with myself - and, as needed, with others - about what my choices reveal about my priorities.  And whenever my revealed priorities need to be rearranged, if I fail to make different choices accordingly, I should admit to myself that I'm either a hypocrite or just plain lazy.

One blog post done.  Now on to the novel.