Tuesday, November 28, 2023

November 26, 2023

I only remember one lesson from First Day School Quaker Sunday School sixty some years ago in New Haven, Connecticut.  The late Wight Bakke told us that one of the things we kids could think about, could ask ourselves, during silent worship was this: “What, this past week, could I have done better?”

Perhaps because it’s the only one I remember, that suggestion comes back to me from time to time.  And, for the first time this morning decades later, I see something new in it.  When I ask myself from the heart when anyone asks themselves “What, this past week, could I have done better?” the Holy Spirit within each of us, whether or not we are aware of it, hears the question and, knowing us and what we have done that week, helps us to answer it.

This morning I see, too, that the Holy Spirit within each person is always there to help us to grow; to help us find within ourselves wholesome and practical answers to any question as we go through Life.  And the more attentive we are to the presence and guidance of the Holy Spirit, the deeper our connection to that Spirit becomes.