Sunday, September 7, 2014

September 7, 2014

This morning, a leaf outside the Meetinghouse window caught my eye.  It was dead.  It had separated from the bush from which it had grown and was hanging from a spider’s thread.  Edge on, it was almost invisible.  When it caught the sun, the leaf shone brightly.  It twisted in the wind dozens of times in one direction, then in the other, over and over for many minutes until its gossamer hawser broke and it fell just now.

It has been said that no leaf falls in the forest but God knows of it and wills it.  I do not believe that God is a conscious being Who plans and wills every such event.  But I do believe that God is the Law of Life, the collective laws of nature, including physics, chemistry, electromagnetism, thermodynamics and gravity, which govern the universe and everything in it.  I believe God is in human nature, too.

I believe that each manifestation of the laws of nature is a creation, and an agent, of God – including us.