Sunday, June 24, 2018

June 24, 2018

I do not claim that the beliefs which bring me to Quaker Meeting are true, in an objective sense. My beliefs are entirely subjective. My beliefs and all my actions, including attending Quaker Meeting, arise from choices which bring meaning and peace to my life – choices from which I experience growth and contribution.

I do not claim that atheists are wrong. I do not claim that anyone who perceives or worships God – however named – in ways other than I do is wrong. What I do claim is the experience of a power or a spirit which, whenever consulted, offers immediate and sound guidance in relating to, and learning from, other people with love and compassion.

I never read a more powerful or important book than Man’s Search For Meaning, by Dr. Viktor Frankl. That book is about the importance of finding meaning in life, for its own sake and because meaning, though different for everyone, is such a reliable, motivating, and comforting companion. Especially in these times of epidemic loneliness locally, nationally and globally, it is essential to our own well-being and to our level of contribution to others – to Life - that we seek, find and develop meaning in our lives, in study, research, meditation, service – or in the search, itself, for meaning.