Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Reality check #19

Doesn't your and my individuality - your literal uniqueness and my literal uniqueness - make us special enough?  

Is my uniqueness not enough to give me - and others - confidence that I am different from every other person and no less inherently important and valuable than any other person?

If my uniqueness is not enough to give me confidence that - background, aptitudes, training and experience aside - I am no less inherently important or valuable than anyone else, what deficiency or deficiencies do I perceive in myself?  Where did my perception of that deficiency or those deficiencies come from?  Why and how much do my perceived deficiencies matter?

Background, aptitudes, training and experience again aside, do I assume that other people have fewer, or less significant, deficiencies than I do, so I have to compensate, or compete to be as special - preferably more special - than others?  

If I feel that way - isn't that essentially a feeling of insecurity?  Where did that come from?

Do I have to fix all my perceived deficiencies to accept myself?  

Might it work better to fix myself by accepting my perceived deficiencies?  

Might it work better to accept myself as I am - to love myself, while accepting I still have lots to learn - and to focus on my strengths and my opportunities to grow and contribute?