Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Thought experiment: being one cell in the body of humanity

Humans are just one of many, many species of creatures living on this planet - each species a miracle.  Each of us is just one of many, many members of the human species, one of those miracles.

Imagine the human species as a single human body.

Now imagine yourself, and every other person living at any given moment - approximately eight billion - as one cell in the body of humanity.

Doesn't the health, the very life, of that cell depend on the health of the body of humanity?  

Doesn't the health of the body of humanity depend in some way and degree on the health and function of each of its cells?  Bone and marrow cells, muscle cells, brain cells, nerve cells, blood cells, skin cells, immune system cells, digestive and reproductive organ cells: the life and function of every kind of cell depends in some degree on the life and function of each other cell.

Given the individuality - the personality, intellect, experience and circumstances - of each person, this thought experiment is useful if we ask ourselves, "What do I - what does my one cell - do with my life within the body of humanity?"

The answer, for me, is essentially to appreciate, and carefully steward, the gift of life and the holy spirit of Life, however named.  To practice self-care and seek to grow.  To cultivate gratitude for being part of the body of humanity, for the kindnesses of others to me and to humanity.  To select consciously my purposes and functions within the body of humanity, generally and in detail each day.  To examine with care and humility how I can best fulfill my chosen purposes and functions.  To do the best I can see to do to fulfill those purposes and functions as long as I live, being grateful for the opportunity.  To respect – to love - other people and be grateful for their efforts, given their circumstances and challenges, to fulfill their chosen purposes and functions.  Never to interfere with other people's wholesome purposes and functions, but rather to encourage and assist them when I can.  And to do what I can see to do, particularly when it is uncomfortable, to prevent or reduce the interference by some people with other people's health, freedom, and pursuit of their wholesome purposes and functions.