Monday, June 3, 2013

May 16, 1999



May 16, 1999 

Thank God for heroism, that demonstration of service and commitment that moves us to find and hold to our own highest character.
    Yesterday, I had the privilege of witnessing the Reverend Jesse Jackson speak about character at the Mitchell College commencement. He reminds me of the late Hiram Bingham, III, of Salem.  Hiram Bingham was a State Department officer in Marseilles at the beginning of World War II who, by issuing American papers, saved some two thousand five hundred people from the Holocaust.  The New London County Bar Association recently honored Hiram Bingham, posthumously, for his heroism in answering the call to his highest character.  The irony that we were honoring a man who had to violate American laws and State Department policies to save lives was not lost on the assembled lawyers and judges.
    As Hiram Bingham saved many lives, I have wished for the opportunity to save even one.  It is either my good fortune or my blindness that I have not seen that opportunity.  But I have come to see that little things matter.  I can help here.  I can avoid hurt or give comfort there.  In each moment, I can be guided by the ways, however small, to save lives.