Sunday, June 2, 2013

July 21, 1996

    Five years ago, an essay of mine on  selfishness and public service appeared in The Hartford Courant.  I sent a copy to my grandmother.  She said she’d like me to write about gratitude.  I’ve thought about that ever since: what have I to add to all that has been said about gratitude, about thanksgiving? 

    I now believe that true gratitude is not in what I say.  True gratitude is not just a feeling I have.  True gratitude is manifested by how I live my life, how I serve, how I share. 

    Do I live as though I am entitled to all I have, if not more?  Or does my life reflect to others my gratitude for my blessings? 

    Do I serve others out of obligation and self-righteousness -- or out of gratitude for the opportunity to contribute to their lives? 

    Do I share out of duty that which is mine?  Or do I share naturally, out of gratitude for that portion of God’s bounty which has been given into my custody?